Pizarro's Sword

Friday, May 12, 2006

Cusco - First Impressions

The 14-hour bus ride was a nightmare. Not only were the seats crap, we were allowed a 5-minute toilet stop only after 9 and a half hours of driving. There was actually a toilet on the bus, but we could use it for number 1's only, not number 2's. Ridiculous.

What I've seen of Cusco so far is wonderful. The architecture is amazing; colonial churches and cathedrals remain remarkably intact and are dotted around the whole city. It's a really imposing sight, especially at nighttime. Strangely enough the conquistadores decided to built all of their churches on top of old Inca temple remains, so often you find a foundation made of collosal blocks of rock and the rest built in a typical European style. Bizarre. Speaking of Europe, the majority of the streets in the city centre are cobbled roads. At times it reminds me a bit of Brussels... Also, the plazas here are much more grandiose than any others I've seen so far. The city has a good vibe to it. Lots of backpackers about, and there's plenty to do at night. I could quite happily stay here for a week.

I've spent the last two days psyching myself up for the Inca Trail trip. We leave early tomorrow morning - pick up from the hostel between 4.30 and 5 a.m. Ouch. In the grand scheme of things, it's a small sacrifice to make. The whole trip lasts 5 days and 4 nights, so I can look forward a lot of hiking. The grand finale is Machu Picchu on the last day. I'm feeling both the nerves and the excitement. We'll see how it goes.

Wish me luck and see you on the other side!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home